Blogs > Sixers Dish

A Philadelphia 76ers blog, hosted by Christopher A. Vito

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Brett Brown expects "some anxiety" on draft lottery night, says he'll follow lead of Sam Hinkie


(AP)

MIAMI – The 76ers’ season has come to an end, but prep work for next season is beginning.

A 100-87 win over the Miami Heat Wednesday, closing out the regular season, only calls attention upon the next critical date on the Sixers’ calendar: the NBA Draft lottery, on May 20.

Sixers coach Brett Brown, who had grown accustomed to 50-win seasons in San Antonio said he’ll harbor some jitters that night. He’s fully aware of what hangs in the balance, with the Sixers holding the Nos. 2 and 10 spots in the lottery.

“That night, when you find out where you pick, is a nerve-wracking night for me,” Brown said, after the Sixers’ win. “I don’t remember the last time we’ve been kind of nervous. That night I’ll be nervous. It’s a really important night for the club. We’ll continue moving forward, no matter what happens. I’d be lying if I said it any other way – there will be some anxiety with me.”

Brown said he will follow the lead of Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie, upon whom Brown laid the title “the architect of all of it.”

“I will be led by Sam,” Brown said. “I’ve gone through a very system-oriented process for the past 12 years with an organization that’s proven they’ve made way more good decisions than bad decisions. And that is Sam’s strength. I’ve got faith in Sam. It’s a very large reason why I’m here. I’m going to let him use me how he wants to use me. It’s my nature to immerse myself into it all and be highly opinionated.

“Somewhere out there (are) analytics people and Sam, as the architect of all of it, and coaches will all share in an opinion and the club will roll with it. Ultimately that’s Sam’s responsibility, why he was hired and I’m thrilled to be with him.”

The Sixers (19-63), who finished the year on their first winning streak since winning four in a row between Dec. 29-Jan. 4, will fly out of Miami tonight and conduct exit interviews with coaches and members of the media Thursday.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home