Blogs > Sixers Dish

A Philadelphia 76ers blog, hosted by Christopher A. Vito

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sixers' Thad Young: Doug Collins "told me, 'Treat the 3-point line line a barbed-wire fence."

(AP)


Never in his career has Thaddeus Young attempted and made more 3-pointers in a single season – and he’d like to keep it that way.

While dealing with so much change – like five coaches in his seven pro seasons – Young would like one thing to stay the same. Namely, he’d appreciate Sixers coach Brett Brown continuing to give him the freedom to roam near the 3-point line.

“I think I was capable of it before,” Young said after Tuesday’s practice. “It was just one of those things where I’ve always been a player where, when a coach needs something or asks me to do something, I go out there and do it. I fulfill a job. 

“With Coach (Doug) Collins, he didn’t want me shooting a lot of 3s. He wanted me in the paint, getting extra possessions, hustling, make open shots. He told me actually, ‘Treat the 3-point line like a barbed-wire fence.’ I didn’t like that at all, but I went out there and fulfilled the job. This year, Brett said to me he wanted me to step out and shoot 3s, to put the ball on the floor, get to the basket, and do everything. I was like, ‘Perfect. I can get back to playing how I was before Coach Collins, before Eddie Jordan.’ My first two years in the league were free-flowing.”

Young is shooting 32.1 percent (83-for-258) from beyond the arc, with his makes and attempts from the 3-point line representing career-high figures. In the three seasons prior, under Collins, Young collectively shot 8-for-34 from the arc.

In his second and third seasons, Young had shown an ability to take and make shots from long range, before having to reel it in under Collins. During the 2008-09 season, with Maurice Cheeks and Tony DiLeo splitting the season, Young shot 56-for-164. A season later, under Jordan, Young went 48-for-138 from the 3-point line.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home