Blogs > Sixers Dish

A Philadelphia 76ers blog, hosted by Christopher A. Vito

Monday, November 12, 2012

JRUE HOLIDAY AFTER LOSS TO BUCKS: "I CAN'T TURN THE BALL OVER LIKE THAT"

(Associated Press)


As the 76ers’ point guard, Jrue Holiday is going to have the ball in his hands more times than not … which makes him far-more apt to turning the ball over than any of his teammates.

Does it wash his hands of eight turnovers Monday night, in the Sixers’ 105-96 loss to Milwaukee? Of course not. But as Holiday puts it, it’s more than the law of averages that’s factoring into his miscues.

“I think it’s just my decision-making,” Holiday said. “I’ve had poor decision-making for the past five games. And again, I just can’t come out careless in crucial situations. Yeah, you have mistakes here and there. It can’t be as consistent.

“I just think I need a solid 48 minutes where I come out and play and relax.”

Holiday’s eight turnovers represented the fourth straight game in which the fourth-year man out of UCLA has had at least seven turnovers in a game. To put that into perspective, Steve Nash has led the NBA in assists each of the last three seasons. Never during that span has he had a four-game stretch with seven or more turnovers. In fact, he’s only had 14 of those in total in the last three seasons.

“The ball is in my hands a lot,” said Holiday, who had a team-high 25 points and is shooting 46.7 percent for the season. “Again, it’s not an excuse. I like having the ball in my hands, but I really don’t like making turnovers.

“I can’t turn the ball over like that. That’s about it. … I think I’ve found my teammates open and made some good passes. At the same time, in some crucial situations, you can’t turn the ball over.”

For all of those turnovers, Holiday does rank third in the NBA in assists, so take the good with the bad.

“I think I’m just trying to make something happen,” he said. “Sometimes, that’s not the case. Sometimes you have to be patient. Again, I’m learning. I’m watching film every day and I’m trying to learn from my mistakes.”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home